Tuesday 30 June 2015

Tom's First Birthday Party

Tom's first birthday party was on Sunday and we had a Cowboys and Indians theme. Initially we didn't have great weather (read : rain, thanks Britain) but it soon brightened up and turned into a great day for a BBQ!

I'd been working on making decorations for a bit over a month, I wanted a home made feel which lent itself well to the Cowboys and Indians natural look. I reused a lot of the Approved Food boxes I had collected, as well as lots of their foods, it was basically an Approved Food party!

I will start with the cake (you know, the important bit!). I had the cake made in the shape of a cowboy hat with an Indian headdress underneath. The hat was chocolate flavour and the headdress was a vanilla sponge. It was epic! It was really heavy but tasted great. This was the most expensive part of the party but also got the most attention, so I figure it was worth it. I am really pleased with the cake and for a first birthday I guess you can go a bit OTT! 


Next up, party bags! I bought a load of plain brown paper bags on eBay and wrote each child's name in a rope style, I then stuck on a little teepee (do I have too luck time in my hands?). Inside I put some lollies (Approved Food!), a pack of bubbles (4/£1 : Poundland), a ty plushy toy or Star Wars Angry bird plushy (Poundworld), some of the older children also had a activity packs, and of course everyone was given cake! I was really pleased how these turned out, they looked great and I made a conscious effort not to fill them with tooty crap (which I think I achieved!)



For decorations I made some big cardboard cut outs and put them around my garden, these included a cactus, totum pole, teepee and saloon doors for my front door. The impact was good although I think it always could be better! But more than anything I was happy that the rain didn't ruin them!


I also added some tissue paper Pom Poms, marble balloons (Poundland), Indian arrow bunting (homemade), and a few other touches.


The thing I am most pleased with is a cut out wanted poster! It was great seeing everyone take their photo inside it and the pictures will be a lovely momento from the party!



Lastly, as you may have seen on my Instagram, I made a birthday sign like the chalkboard style but a bit more highledy piggledy. I just wanted a momento of Tom at this point in time and it made a good centre piece. It also served as a shout out to all the people in Tom's life, which was nice as they as at the party. 

  
I did make the gold number 1, and it took about half an hour before my mother in law spotted that it was back to front! At least someone noticed! 

The party was a massive success, my house was heaving but everyone seemed to have a good time! I don't think I will be holding another big party next year but never say never! Better get stashing those boxes!

2 comments:

  1. Indeed the cake is looking really delicious and I appreciate your unique idea of making this cake. Well for now I am looking for good cake ideas for my upcoming corporate events NYC. Please suggest me something good and unique like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would live to help with ideas! Is there a theme to it? Sounds very exciting.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete