Saturday 16 May 2015

Plus Size Pregnancy :

In truth I'm not sure about this post, I feel a bit anxious, like I'm putting out there what people don't want to know? I'm not sure exactly what I mean, just a gut feeling.
Equally, soon after I found out I was pregnant I started to manically Google 'plus size pregnancy', 'fat mum', 'obese pregnancy' and many other variations of the above. When we started trying to conceive I hadn't given much thought to actually being overweight and pregnant, two of my sisters have fertility issues and I'm a 'big girl' so I assumed it would be a big struggle. Three months later I was a knocked up fatty. 
I was wearing a size 22 and had no idea even what a plus size person looked like at full term, cue Google. And it helped a little bit but it seemed to be mostly American women, which is wonderful but I was looking for advice and guidedence  from the home soil.
Then I turned to those wonderfully crazy Netmums. I have found Netmums to be a  great resource on many occasions but in this case it felt a lot more like scare mongering. There was so many frightened women in the same boat that I was and the responses seemed to be that doctors will tell you off and people will say you are huge, this is not what you need to hear and I friggin hope it was the exception and not the rule!

I am going to do a Q&A style on what I worried about and if you have any questions or if I miss anything then pop it in the comments and I can answer or do a part 2 post (which would be terribly exciting!)

Did I end up so massive that people thought I was just really really fat and not pregnant?
I worried about this for a long time, an older friend of mine told me that when she had one of her children there was people that didn't know she was even pregnant. I think she was trying to prepare me in case I didn't show. I did show, I ended up with a fecking great big bump that you couldn't pretend was anything but a baby! 


This is me on my way into the hospital to have Tom so excuse the action shot/looking like a tramp, notice said massive bump!

Will I get gestational diabetes because I'm a chubby bunny?
I didn't! I have friends of all different shapes and sizes and some got it, some didn't. Just eat healthy and take care of yourself. 

I'm under consultant led care, what does this mean?
I had this, in daily life it means more appointments and possibly extra scans  (every cloud has a silver lining). The other side is that you may have extra complications as your body does have to work harder to sustain a healthy pregnancy. Labour may also have difficulties and your choice of pain relief may be affected. You also may not be able to give birth on a midwife led unit, in case of these problems. You may also be referred to a healthy weight management club, I was supposed to be but it didn't happen due to a clerical error (no biggie). I like to end on a positive, so, you get more time off work for the appointments!

Will medical staff be mean to me as I'm fuller figured?
Not in my experiences, in my time not one person made me feel bad about my weight (except me!). I personally felt embarrassed when I had to lift my belly (cringe) but when you hear your babies heartbeat then you don't give a fig.

Will they see my baby on the scan through my blub?
Yup, it might take a bit longer or be a bit more difficult but they will find your little pea. A few times Tom would snuggle right under my thickest part but my midwife was always able to find him. 

Will I be able to fit in maternity clothes? And not look like a twat?
Of course you can. Next maternity leggings was a particular favourite of mine! I bought a big bundle on eBay and used some items I already had. There is plenty out there. Your body will look beautiful in empire dresses and long skirts or tunics. Don't be shy to accentuate that wonderful rotund tum!

What will my bump look like? 
Well, mine wasn't the traditional D shaped round beach ball bump (I wish!). Instead, I had a B shape bump, so I had my big beach ball but under it I had my belly. Dressed, you wouldn't even notice but in the nude it was there. It wasn't the beautiful maternity pictures you see in magazines but it was me abd Tom, and that's ok.

This is all I can think of for now, but please ask any thing else you are worried about! I'm here to help! Sending chub mama love x

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I'm currently trying to conceive and I'm over weight and have been wondering about all the things you cover. Found you on IG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad it was helpful! Wishing you all the luck in conceiving and your subsequent pregnancy! If you have any other questions then please do ask! X

      Delete
  2. I found this post by searching Instagram for "plus size pregnancy!" Haha' I'm 5 weeks pregnant and am so worried I will just look fatter and fatter and not pregnant. I've been putting such pressure on myself to lose weight in this first trimester whole I still can. It's. Terrifying and lonely place to be. Thanks for sharing your experience xxx

    ReplyDelete