Saturday 9 May 2015

Breastfeeding :

I am a breastfeeding mama.  It's probably the one thing inmost proud of in my foray to motherhood. For the most I have received nothing but support from friends, family and strangers.
Before I started I had seen lots of instances on social media about breastfeeding shaming and so was expecting some form of backlash, which, well it just didn't happen. I think it's something to consider that these so called empowering messages could be scaring people off! 
My breastfeeding journey has had some lows including mastitis, blocked ducts and biting *ouch*. During each of these times I have given serious consideration to if I want to continue and it's always felt that it's not to right time to stop.
A few months back Tom had 6 teeth come in and a virus. Hell would be an understatement, and he wouldn't have a thing near his mouth. Except (drumroll) boobie! It was a really difficult week and in truth it scares me that it could be repeated but I would have the boobie to get me through. 
Tom is now 10 months and I get asked, rightly or wrongly (frickin wrongly!) when I plan to stop the boob. I am lucky to have a very strong friend who's baby is 17 months and still breastfeeding, she is such an inspiration. I don't want to stop, defiantly up to a year, if I can - beyond that? Who knows! 
Breastfeeding has given me such a beautiful bond, I'm not saying you don't get that with bottle because I have no idea about the difference! 
This post is more about have the bravery and will power to keep going past the bit where everyone tells you how great it is, to the part where people start to question if it's weird (it's not).
I think the matter of teeth come into play. Yes, I have been bitten. Yes, it hurts like a mother ducker (it bled!). But, he gets so much from it, so do I. It's a bond, an instant fix, a medicine, sustenance, a cuddle, magical sleep juice and so much more.
I love the boobie, I am proud to boobie. I just have to stick to my big milky guns!

Do you breastfeed? Are you interested in any of my experiences? Please comment, I would love to hear from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment