Monday 6 July 2015

Screen Time Junkie Challenge

I have a problem. I think I'm an addict. I'm a bit ashamed to say... 

I am addicted to my iPhone. I use my phone constantly. If I need to know something I'm on Google, if I want to buy something I check eBay, I blog and use Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. It doesn't really end.

It's been bothering me for a while and Mr B has made some not so subtle hints. I don't want Tom to just picture me with a phone in my hand, or a screen in front of my face and I feel like I am missing things for something that just isn't worth it. Now I've started getting a sore wrist from holding my phone at the same angle whilst breastfeeding and last night I woke up and had been dreaming about using my phone as I was holding an imaginary phone and putting in my passcode!
So a change must occur...

I'm setting myself a challenge, I am going to dramatically reduce my phone screen time. I'm giving myself a week of strict rules with the intention that hopefully either some good habits will stick or I will at least be more aware of bad habits. 

1. I have already turned off my banner notifications. When my phone is locked I do not know what is waiting for me. I am hoping this will be out of sight, out of mind?
2. No eBay, at all, for a week. Might save money too, two birds one stone!
3. Check email once in the morning, once before bed. No emails will be that important that it can't wait.
4. Whatsapp. No long ass conversations. I can message someone if I need to talk to someone but all conversations must be kept short and sweet.
5. I can have 1 hour screen time a day, whenever that may occur, this would cover Facebook, Twitter and blogging. 

I've tried to make my goals realistic, I am not suddenly going to not use my phone but I hope to have a better balance on how often I am using it.



I will do a pots at the end of the 7 days on how I have coped! Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment