Thursday 9 July 2015

Hipster baby : Courgetti

So I saw the spiralizer bandwagon and I admit I was intrigued. However, I was not £30 worth of intrigued, so I bought a handheld julienne peeler from China via eBay for 99p.
The peeler came within 2 weeks and that led to today's experiment. Now I admit that Tom doesn't particularly like courgette or spaghetti, so I expected the courgetti to be a failure. Mr B just stated "Is there no bandwagon you won't jump on?" Answer, "Nope".
I nipped to Aldi and bought a bag or courgettes (69p, very reasonable!) and I got peeling. For Tom I used one courgette and with my peeler it took about two minutes. I don't really think £30 would have been well spent as it was a piece of piss with my peeler. Once peeled I realised I made a bit much for his wee tummy so I only used half the mix. I didn't really know what to do with the courgetti as I  hadn't really thought much past using the peeler!
I decided to stir fry it with a bit of pre-cooked chicken and a drizzle of sesame oil at the end. It looked ok to me, smelt good, so next was the taste test. 
As I said earlier, I had low expectations from Tom, well I was wrong! He wolfed the lot! I think he liked that he could play with it, it held its shape well, the flavour wasn't particularly strong so not offensive or off putting and it wasn't stodgy. 
All told, I'm saying this is a fad I can get on board with! I am even looking forward to trying other stuff, but I don't know what! I don't think I could justify buying a special machine, but my lil peeler is great and if you are fancying it then I say go for it! 



Have you tried the courgetti trend? Do you have any recommendations to try next?

No comments:

Post a Comment