Thursday 16 July 2015

My Parental Struggles : Part 1

All that best posts are written at 4:30 AM, when you are too tired to mediate yourself, but the downside is the spelling will be atrocious!

I decided to do a series of posts on my current parental struggles as they do change with Tom as he grows. I thought it was worthwhile as I find that especially online, people don't like to let on that something is difficult until they overcome it and then retrospectively they can sugar coat it a wee bit or just not quite remember how they felt at that time. So here is my current top five : 

1 : Sleep : Beeatsfeeding has generally meant I've not struggled to bad on getting Tom to sleep, but just recently he has started not falling asleep on the boob but rolling around on the bed trying to find his ideal sleep position (a bit like a cat!). Now I don't mind this per-say but when he does it for an hour at 4 AM (hence the post), it gets old quick. Which leads on  to ...

2 : Tiredness : I forgot the word carrot the other day. I'm frickin tired. So so so tired, all the time. Being back at work is great but that's it now, I am constantly on the go and it's exhausting. I know it's not forever but I'm due to start my counsellor training and it's going to be tough to have less time and more metal demands. We had done the cry it out/Ferberising but Tom had been ill a few times and we kept recapping it, but I eventually got to a point where I thought he is only a baby once and if he wants me then he can have me (I sometimes regret this)
3 : Walking : Tom is big for his age so people expect him to hit his miles stones early, Generally he has been on track and isn't behind on walking, he is just starting to, but I seem to be asked all the flipping time is 'Is he walking?', no, kindly do one. I guess I am conscious that he isn't and sometime a it feels like a reminder of that. 
4 : Parental comparisons : Because sometimes it feels like a competition. One I am loosing. I was helpfully informed the other day by a friend that a girl she knew was walking at 8 months, greeeaaat. It's great when a child learns something or achieves but sometimes it's really hard not to compare your own against the progress of others, often it not taking account ages gaps between children. And I can feel that I am not doing enough as a parent. I just want Tom to be supported and happy but I would be lying if I said I'm not envious of the potty trainers, walking, bilingual, back flipping, war and peace reading, fictitious 3 month old. 
5 : Food : Tom is generally a good eater  but I do struggle to think of what to make him to eat to keep things interesting and nutritionally balanced. I think I need to Google a list or something because more often than not I'm sat in front of a cupboard with mushy peas in one hand and a tin of kidney beans in the other feeling like a Ready Steady Cook challenge! On social media, you see these amazing mums producing fantastic food for their toddlers and it can make me feel like I'm failing Tom by not living to simeone else's standards.



I guess the theme of the post is my to compre yourself to others. I really will try but it ain't easy...

What are your current parental struggles or do younger any advice for me? Let me know in the comments below 

No comments:

Post a Comment