Sunday 1 March 2020

Kids Clothing Hacks

This isn’t aimed at any particular age but just a few tips and tricks I use that make life easier or save money! 



  1. Labels 
Now, you don’t know what you don’t know but, goddam I wish I had worked this out sooner! When buying labels for your kids stuff order just the SURNAME! this way when your kid grows out of it you can pass it on to siblings and cousins etc without relabelling it! I find this useful with labels on water bottles that are shared by the family too! 

2. School Underwear
This makes me a really lame mum, but I kid you not this makes my life so much easier. Specifically for school get your kids plain pants, vests and plain black socks. Plain boring underwear. It helps with socks that they are interchangeable so you are never short of socks, I like Primark as they have the size printed in the rim so it’s easy to pair up and keep track of. For school I am happy for Tom to wear cheap vests as he grows out of them quickly and they don’t particularly get seen. Where as for school holidays and weekends he has patterned socks and vests which much nicer, for me there is an unconscious indication of work and play time. It just works well for us! 

3. Prep clothes
I accept this is a bit extra but if you can make your life easier in anyway but investing time where you have it then do! An example is that when I take off Chloe’s baby grow I don’t unpopper the legs, so when it’s been washed and is being put back on it slips on and saves fighting her when she is kicking her legs and crawling away! I dry Toms school shirts on hangers, it helps the creases come out and can be hung straight in the wardrobe which removes a step elsewhere! 

4. Shop big; shop classic, shop smart
You will naturally find shops you prefer to gets kids stuff from, and I am all for that but equally there are times I will particularly gravitate to certain shops for items as I know they are sized big and made well so will last. We have a tradition for Tom to wear a certain T shirt from Next when we go on holiday, it’s been 4 years and still fits (I think this is it’s last year *sob*), if you shop smart and take care of the items they will last for a very long time. If you want a seasonal or a trend item then it’s not as important but something classic it’s worth investing in.

5. Pick a colour palette
This goes alongside thinking of clothes lasting a long time and thinking of a bigger picture. If you find a colour palette that suits your child’s style and generally shop within those colours/styles then clothes can be easily mixed and matched and will have a longer life span. This is also very helpful when your child starts choosing their own clothes for the day, means they can only go so rogue in what they look like. Tom likes dark blues, khaki, grey, black and the occasional pop of red, he also really likes camouflage. Chloe suits dusky pink and an autumnal set of colours but time will tell what she likes! 

I hope you find these useful! Do you have any tips and tricks to share? 

1 comment:

  1. I saw a youtuber, i think mrs meldrum, have uniform for everyday inc underwear, socks, tights etc so in case it gets dirty and you dont have time to wash youll have enough for everyday and dont have to worry ��

    ReplyDelete