Wednesday 4 March 2020

Making social media work for you

As we all know social media is a double edged sword, it can be an amazing supportive environment and it can create a toxic environment which can have deadly consequences. A few years back I felt like I just had my gates open to anything on social media and would let in the good, bad and anything in between and began to feel overwhelmed, sometimes surrounded by things that wasn’t a positive influence and just generally wasted a lot of time looking at crap. So I decided to take a more mindful approach, I semi regularly cull who I follow and seek out things that bring sometime positive to my life. Here are some people that I find their content to be enriching, I’ve included Instagram names so you can find them too! 

Families:
I have found that I like content creators with bigger families, they usually provide good budgeting content and cooking ideas. They seem to share my values of time. Some examples are:

Ashley Bailie  @ashleybailie
She is an Irish mum to 5 children and often posts meal planning/prep/ideas on YouTube. She is budget conscious but makes amazing looking food. Just generally a ray of sunshine!

Jordan Page @jordanpage
An American mum to 6 kids and is currently pregnant with twins! Her focus is more around budgeting and tips. I enjoy her family values and the unity of her and her husbands approach to family life. And she is all about the organisation life!

Money 
I haven’t found a british blogger that I really connect with when it comes to talking about money which is frustrating as it means some of the advice I see isn’t applicable, but it’s still helpful to get a better general understanding or good tips and hacks. 

The financial diet (TFD) @thefinancialdiet
I particularly like TFD as it is run by woman around my age so it just feels relatable, they discuss their experiences and are honest about mistakes they have made. They also tell it how it is and sometimes you need that! 

Debt Free Dana @debtfreedana
I think I came across this lady when I was considering cloth nappies for Clo (hasn’t happened), she offers really good tips and advice on money saving, but also has just got a nice outlook on life and enjoying the simple things! 

Real woman 
I also like to follow people I consider ‘real’, a few accounts I’ve unfollowed because it all feels a bit staged and leaves me feeling ‘less than’ which isn’t doing me any good. But there are some women out there who show their authentic selves and I’ve built engagement with as I find them relatable 

Mikhila McDaid @mikhilamcdaid
Ive been a fan of Mikhila for a long time (it’s a whole thing), I find that she shows that motherhood is part of her life but not all of it which I agree with. I enjoy that she would rather be herself than fit a mould, which again I agree with! And she likes to shop, ding ding ding that’s three for three. She is also working on small fixes to be more eco conscious which is really interesting.

SunnyNayRay @sunnynayray
I love NayRay because she is truly sunny! She never fails to make me actually laugh out loud. She is hugely inspiring with her weight loss journey, but again she is so much more than that. She is genuine and warm and caring and very very funny. 

I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing a small section of people I find positive influences on the big bad web, who do you follow that brings you joy? 

No comments:

Post a Comment