Thursday 20 August 2015

The realists guide to writing a birth plan :

I wrote a birth plan. Nay, I lovingly handcrafted my birth plan. It was Waitrose standard stuff, I even kept it in a nice little folder. MUG

When I arrived at the hospital I was asked most of the questions that I had answered anyway. But never the less I was sure it would be used. I used the format on the NHS website, surely they wouldn't make a format if it wasn't going to be used? BOLLOCKS

It wasn't used. I was far too busy pushing out a (not so) tiny human to give a fig about what I had written when I should have been working. When/if I have a second baby I will not be using one as I learnt, it will happen as it is supposed to.

However, I do think it's a good idea to complete one for your first baby. And here is why: 

1. They require a bit of planning, so you get a bit of an idea of what's to come and what options are available to you
2. There is no question of your wants and needs if your birth partner is unavailable or unsure when the time comes
3. When you are still preggers you have time to squander, plus it's quite reassuring that you are prepared (you are  really not)

So how to write one : 

1. Sit down: you are pregnant, it's always good to have a nice sit
2. Have a nap : see above, change sit for nap
3. Have a little snack : see above 
4. Go on the NHS website and use the template (I think I googled NHS birth plan - duh)
5. Reward oneself for finding it with a cup of tea
6. Go for a wee, you are going to need to after that tea
7. Answer questions based on ideal scenario, if it all went perfectly and your baby just slid out after a little sneeze
8. Sit back and point blank refuse to think about labour until your waters break 9. Now relax and reward oneself for all your hard work, with tea, a twix and a nap. 



I hope this was useful! Good luck mamas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment