Saturday 8 August 2015

Inside Out : What were they thinking?

Me and Mr B had a movie night last, and top of our list was Disney Pixar Inside Out appealing to our shared love of Disney, Pixar and my career around counselling and mental health.
So what were they thinking making a movie about how feelings feel? 

It
Is
Freeking 
Genius!?!

The basic premise is around an 11 year old girl, Riley and her 5 emotions of Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear and Disgust. The film is based around the transition of childhood emotions to pre-teen and the acceptance that things can't always be happy, letting Sadness and Anger have their places in the spectrum of human emotion. I won't ruin the plot as I'm not a douche. 

I think this film fills a niche in giving children (and adults) permission to feel. And that is kinda a big deal. Let's take a moment and be a bit deep. As a society we have a subconscious expectation that we should be happy, we should be happy even when we are not. But sometimes we are sad, sometime sad stuff happens and actually what we need to be able to do is express that. And this is a bit of an alien concept but Inside Out captures that and makes it relatable. It says in big neon feeling letters BE SAD, BE ANGRY, be true to how you feel because things aren't just one feeling.

This film is brilliant! It's funny and had lots of feels (naturally). I actually cried, I cried for Joy, I cried for Sadness and I cried for Riley. But I also laughed (snorted) and am already looking forward to watching it again. 

Watching Inside Out provoked a really interesting conversation with me and Mr B and I can see that it could open up some communication between parents and children but can also be just another great Pixar movie when you don't want to be deep. 

I would 100% recommend seeing Inside Out. If you are on the fence that it is not your thing and you might not relate to it, then bear in mind that you would have felt all the feelings that are the charectors so you can relate to what the protagonists are feeling. 

In closing (I'm so formal), I ask again, what were they thinking? I have no idea but yet again Pixar show theyhave unmitigated genius. And for the fact that this may help us all accept our feelings just that little bit better, I am grateful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment